Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Are You Juggling?


You know what it is like when things are REALLY crazy? When you have all sorts of extra things you are trying to "keep up in the air" besides your normal workload?

I think juggling is an interesting analogy for being busy... I actually do a lot of juggling in school with my kids. Really, I do! You can check out my P.E. blog to read my post: Juggling is Good for the Brain!

What I am learning as I juggle a tad better and better each time is that juggling A LOT of objects is not really hard, as long as all of the objects are the same. When juggling five balls, your arms just find a rhythm and you lock into it and you don't actually have to THINK about where all five objects are. (Like being in your "regular" schedule, which is probably pretty busy, but you are used to it).

It's when you include one object that is heavier or more awkward than the others that you actually have to keep track of where it is in the order, so you can prepare to exert the extra force necessary to push the object up, or to grab its handle.

Although it might be harder -- my theory is that it is more fun! I like the challenge. I like what I learn along the way.

3 comments:

Carol said...

Hi Soutenus! Juggling is OK with me for a little while, then I have to completely shut down for repairs! I like your blog! Carol

Soutenus said...

Thanks! have you ever worked with crystal sticks? -- they are called many things. I am MAKING some for my classes becasue they are so expensive. I have been very pleased with the small test group of kids working with these sticks. I am finding a nice short success learning curve for kids to master the basics. That makes them feel confident and keeps them engaed. Feel free to give me any pointers!

jugglingpaynes said...

Hello again! Thank you for your comment.
I tend to be drawn to the word juggling. I can't imagine why. I wrote a piece a while back about the juggling metaphor. You can find it on my sidebar under "This should give you an idea about who I am."

I never really think too much when I juggle. I take the objects out of the air and send them back again. I've done various objects at once.

More interesting for me is partner work--Learning to watch your partner, figure out how to catch what they throw, and throw things they can catch. It reminds me of dancing!

What things do you juggle? I've found scarves are the easiest thing to teach in a class.
Peace and Laughter,
Cristina